Herbalife is a global nutrition company that has helped people pursue a healthy, active life since 1980. Our nutrition, weight-management and personal care products are available exclusively through dedicated independent Distributors in more than 90 countries. Our Mission is to change people’s lives by providing the best business opportunity in direct selling and the best nutrition and weight-management products in the world.
Position summary statement
The Research and Development Scientist will support the R&D department by conducting experiments in the R&D Center of Excellence facility employing the fields of pharmaceutical and food sciences. This position will generate physical test data on R&D samples and commercial products on an as needed basis, and is responsible for maintaining the laboratory workspace, equipment and inventory. Scientific judgment is required in resolving problems and makes routine recommendations to experienced team members. Normally receives no instruction on routine work, general instructions on new assignments. Leads and mentors temporary laboratory technicians in areas such as safety, quality, and technical execution. Deliver projects on target with quantity, quality, time and within budget.
- Executes development activities as assigned, including dispensing of raw materials, generation of product samples for internal or external evaluation, manufacture of feasibility trials and/or pilot batches, and completion of physical testing.
- Documents all experiments and results in development batch records/protocols and/or laboratory notebooks.
- Sets-up, maintains, and cleans laboratories equipment and work area.
- Maintains raw material inventory.
- Follows all safety procedures and practices. Maintains a safe work environment.
- Implements detailed observations, analyzes data, and interprets results.
- May write experimental reports.
- Performs a wide variety of development and/or production laboratory tasks and experiments.
- Mentors and advises temporary laboratory technicians and provides feedback to group members to help accomplish project objectives.
- Ensures all documentation produced is in compliance with cGMP standards.
- Responsible for contributing to audit readiness and for participating in quality audits.
- Ability to identify, assess and ascertain the suitability of new raw materials for use in powder formulations.
- Ability to run project plans and complete them with limited to no supervision
- Proven communication skills, both written and verbal. Has capacity to interact effectively at all levels of organization with sensitivity to diversity.
- Highly skilled at predicting outcomes and solving ingredient/formulation problems in a practical, timely and collaborative manner.
- History of achieving positive results and adding value.
- Ability to navigate a fast-paced environment with multiple collaborators
- Ability to coach and mentor in an industrial setting.
- 4+ years’ product development experience solving technical problems with nutritional beverage/food related formulas from food industry and is recognized as a strong technical contributor in process expertise.
- Has successfully developed, piloted and conducted a tech transfer powder formulation into a manufacturing environment.
- Successful track record of completing development tasks
- Business process orientation including adherence to New Product Process, testing protocols and appropriate Product Lifecycle Management (e.g. Agile) and laboratory notebook documentation
- Proficient use of MS Office, particularly Excel and PowerPoint
- Experience in working in a GMP environment
- Experience base in functional areas that collaborate with R&D such as QA, QC, Regulatory, Manufacturing, and Supply Chain
- BS degree in Food Science or related field.
- MS/PhD or Graduate Education in food science or related field.
- Nutritional beverages/foods experience
We support our employees’ lives inside and outside the workplace! Our benefits package, which varies by country, features comprehensive medical and dental insurance, retirement savings plans and more. When our employees feel nourished, we believe our potential is limitless.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected characteristic. We value diversity, strive for inclusivity, and believe the differences among our teammates is a key contributor to Herbalife’s ongoing success! We currently have eight global employee networks: Black Life, Millennial Network, Multicultural Life, Proud Life, Vet Life, Women in Leadership, Women in Technology, and Working Parents Life employee networks.